Last year we posted the rules to follow for temporary right to work checks. You can currently check RTW via video calls, however, after 16th May 2021 we will be returning to the normal way of checking in person.
Until 16 May 2021 you must:
- ask the worker to submit a scanned copy or a photo of their original documents via email
- arrange a video call and ask the worker to hold up the original documents to the camera and check them against the digital copy of the documents record the date you made the check and mark it as “adjusted check undertaken on [insert date] due to COVID-19”
- if the worker has a current Biometric Residence Permit or Biometric Residence Card or has been granted status under the EU Settlement Scheme or the points-based immigration system you can use the online right-to-work checking service while doing a video call – the applicant must give you permission to view their details.
From 17 May 2021 you must either:
- check the applicant’s original documents, or
- check the applicant’s right to work online, if they have given you their share code